Monday, July 30, 2012

A valuable learning experience...Water Skiing.



Greetings Perham,
            Once again, it is so nice to be here in the EOT Focus for yet another week. This past week sure has been quite warm! Over the weekend I experienced the heat firsthand as I rode atop the Perham Express Train in the Detroit Lakes Water Carnival Parade. I love the month of July in our wonderful state of Minnesota.
            On Monday I was invited to spend the day with my roommate from college and her family at Gold Eagle Campground. Even though Taylor and I have only know each other for a year and a half, her family has spent many summers’ just miles from my home. One thing Taylor has always known about me is that I have never water skied before. She and her family changed that on Monday evening.
            Learning how to ski is a difficult task as it takes much coordination, strength, and control in the water. Giving water skiing a shot was a bit out of my character and I sure was nervous as I awaited my first attempt. Much to my surprise it wasn’t too bad as I made it half way out of the water my first time. After about a good twenty minutes of failing I succeed and experienced the thrill of riding the water. I’ll never forget the excitement. As I drove home Monday evening from the experience I realized learning how to ski is much like the risks we take in life. When we leave our comfort zones we try and try again before we ever experience success. Had I not left my comfortable seat on the boat Monday evening I never would have skied. Had I not auditioned to be in a community musical while in high school I wouldn’t have taken the stage as a lead character. If I never would have competed for Miss Perham I wouldn’t be writing to you today. We are given many opportunities in our lives to try new things, be challenged, and see ourselves succeed. This week I challenge you to take the next step towards a crazy dream, to lead a new idea, to share perspective you are fearful to share. And just maybe you will glide on the water of life with ease. 


P.S. My weekend in Frazee, soon to arrive!! 


Much love, 
Paige 

No comments:

Post a Comment